Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Week One, Day Two: Be Unreasonable

(I set some pretty lofty goals the first year I released an album.  I believe that the very ability to be unreasonable while shaking off my fear of dreaming big helped me win a few awards that year.  Years later, my focus and goals are now  different, and more unreasonable than ever.)

It makes a lot of sense to me that when setting goals, writing them out with pen and paper could make them more meaningful than doing it on a computer.  I like this quote from Ariel Hyatt:

"Your intention manifests itself differently when it comes from a pen and not from a computer.  The act of writing it down accesses a different part of your brain and it makes a deal between your hand, your mind and your heart." 

Is this why I keep reverting back to an old fashioned planner over my iCal?  Perhaps.

Before writing down my goals, I'm going to hone in on some focus areas within my career which I can then set goals in.  Remember, my area is the music business, but yours might be sports related, family related, etc.  Why not write them down and put them on the fridge?  It's not like it could hurt anything.

My Focus Areas:
  • Branding
  • Marketing
  • Website design
  • Social Media
  • PR
  • Tour
  • Writing songs
  • Number of CDs/downloads I would like to sell
  • How much $ would I like to earn?
  • Film and TV placements (really excited for this area!)
  • Building fan base
  • Audience sizes at my shows
  • Finding a manager I mesh with
  • Personal health (to improve my performance)
  • Mental health (staying positive)
A few things to keep in mind: the more specific you can be with your goals, the better.  If your goals are vague then your outcome will be too.  Writing down dates, describing goals in detail and visualizing them as if they are already happening are all great techniques in bringing them to life.

One contradiction I found in this chapter was that regarding focus areas, it says to "think big, be unreasonable, and don't hold yourself back."  However, when suggesting techniques for writing down goals, the book also reads: "Make them so they are realistically achievable."  Personally I like the "be unreasonable" approach.  I think if you shoot big, you're more likely to get further than if you think "realistically."  There are good things about both, but I am a free-spirited dreamy kind of gal.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a date with a pen and some paper.

2 comments:

  1. That is so interesting, the part about accessing different parts of the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm...I have always set unreasonable goals, but it hasnt helped me much!

    ReplyDelete