Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Week 4, Day 23: Twitterpated


Have you noticed that so much of the web nowadays is very interactive? Take this here blog for example. A blog is a perfect example of a site where the information is always changing. You can also add your own two cents about what is being published in the comments section, or play my latest song on the music player to the right and then link over to one of the bloggers I am following. Interactive websites that allow for your participation are defined by the term "Web 2.0." Before Web 2.0, there was (and still is) "Web 1.0." This is the kind of internet most of us were first introduced to. The information is static and brochure-like in nature.

One facet of Web 2.0 includes social networking sites like MySpace, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter. These sites allow people all over the world to interact with each other and find common interests. They are important to me because I don't want to be an artist who just shows up on stage and sings to people just for the attention. I really love the relationships I make with people through music and I greatly appreciate the time that people take to send me a note on facebook or reply to one of my comments on Twitter (and I particularly love comments on my lil' ol' blog).

Most of you are probably already familiar with MySpace, YouTube and Facebook. Twitter is a little bit newer, but very progressive and I seem to use it more than any other social network these days. Here's why:

It's free and very easy to create an account.

According to Twitter, their purpose is "for staying in touch and keeping up with friends no matter where you are or what you're doing."

It only takes me a few seconds to jot down a thought or two or to see what the people I am following are thinking about. It's the most current form of news you can find anywhere. And there are no annoying "gifts," "pokes," and "hugs" apps.

I feel a more immediate connection with people on Twitter, perhaps because it feels like we're having a small conversation rather than leaving a message on a wall. Yet, at the same time, it feels less obligatory to respond. (Don't worry, Facebook. I still love you. You're just a different animal altogether.)

If you're still confused, you can watch these very brief videos on Twitter. Then, if you fancy, sign yourself up and start following me (@MindyGledhill). I'll follow you back and we can banter about the Grammys, the weather, shocking news, or whatever you wish!

Twitter in Plain English: http://www.commoncraft.com/twitter

Twitter Search in Plain English: http://www.commoncraft.com/twitter-search

2 comments:

  1. i totally agree with your twitter opinions. well said, honestly. it's just so dang convenient and slightly more personal if you ask me. ps.. have i mentioned you're a very talented singer/songwriter lately? (: true story.

    ReplyDelete