Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Running for Ruby


Can you even handle how adorable this little doll is? About 5 days after my baby boy was born in August, I got an email that a baby girl named Ruby Jane Taylor had passed away from a rare liver condition called Caroli Disease. Her mother Ani Taylor, would sing my song "All About Your Heart" to her every night as a lullaby while they awaited the right match for a liver donor. But sweet Ruby passed on before a donor became available. Ani's dear family had tried to arrange for me to come down and sing at Ruby's funeral. I can't even tell you how badly I wanted to go. Being in that initial phase of having a newborn, my heart was especially tender over hearing this news. But at the same time, I felt torn about traveling with my baby, not even being a week old yet. I offered a few other alternatives and we decided that I would come down and do a private concert for Ani and her family on what would have been Ruby's first birthday. Tomorrow is in fact that day, and I could not be more honored to be able to meet with Ruby's parents and extended family to honor her life.

This Saturday, there is a Run for Ruby and blood drive in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA. The race will help to raise awareness for organ donation and honor Ruby for her birthday. If you have friends in Orange County, CA, please let them know! Details can be found HERE.


9 comments:

  1. I can't believe how ironic this is. My daughter had her baby at 23 weeks in November and named her Ruby. She is still fighting. That piece of music is part of a slide show of pictures we have. My husband plays the guitar and has been trying to learn how to play that song. Just this weekend I told him I would write you an email and ask you for the music so he could learn to play it for Ruby. When I saw this post this morning I couldn't believe it.

    The song is the most beautiful piece of music...written by a beautiful person. You will probably never know what it means to that family, your sacrifice of your time, etc.

    Ruby. :)


    (cakesbypatticakes@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweetheart you are, Mothers hearts are always tender
    Hugs to Ruby's family

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to eat that baby with a spoon. God bless that little family and props to you for reaching out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is lovely of you to do that for them. what a beauty she was...my heart goes out to her family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure the best way to provide a comment on a song that has touched our family and a special friend, but hope you can read this. You recorded Child of Light some years ago (I think 2004). I heard it a funeral for a young man who had survived an almost life ending motorcycle accident to end up being hit by a car over a year later and killed while returning from church. His life had been changed from the first accident and his family saw him become active in the church again and they shared spiritual moments with him before he died that they had not experienced for many years. I spoke at his funeral and I heard this song which touched everyone there and was so appropriate for the circumstance. About 2 months later I attended and helped organize a funeral for an aunt of my wife's who died and once again used this very appropriate song. Almost three years ago our 2 years old grandson passed away unexpectedly from a deadly rare disease that killed him in his sleep in 1 1/2 hours. It was hard, very hard for my son and his wife and us. Adam was our son's and his wife' first child and our first grandchild. He had an amazing interest in light even from his earliest days. Your song was an anchor for us and all the words talked of him and us and our time with him. Sorry for the long comment, but thank you for your amazing sensitivity to life and God. Your music has raised the hearts of many and blessed our family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mr. Moore (?),

    Thank you so much for your heartfelt comment. I ache to think of your sweet grandson and these other families you mentioned. I'm grateful to know that my music has in some small way brought comfort to people who have suffered unspeakable grief. Sending you and your family all my love. -Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sad, sad story, but how great to be apart of such an amazing foundation now and to be able to bring to life the importance of organ donation. What a sweet little baby.

    I meant to tell you that I grew up with Ruby's dad in Shingle Springs. Matt Taylor. It's such a small world. My heart aches for their family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. light...not life, but I guess both work here. Love you, Min.

    ReplyDelete